Sunday, March 1, 2015

Intro

Welcome to my blog, my name is Jordan, and I have been trading since April 2014.  I only traded around 10 days (when I had weekdays off from work) from April to August, then I took a leap of faith, and quit my full time job and started trading fulltime around my 20th birthday on August 18th.  I had some immediate success making $500-1000/day on a fairly small account, but then took some very big, stubborn losses (from add, add, adding) on "day 1 runners" such as IVAN and AVNR.  Since then, I've been in a pretty endless cycle of making money for a week or two and then giving it back in a day or two, with some recent big losses being SGNL and CAPN. 

I had been in Tim Sykes's room since March 2014, and watched some of his videos, but I didn't really learn much from him, and never followed any alerts.  I soon joined InvestorsLive chatroom (http://www.investorsunderground.com/) and watched his first DVD, which were both helpful, but I was still sort of just "doing my own thing".  The chatroom is great for getting quick alerts on news and updates on stocks which I wouldn't be able to see on my own. Also Nate's insights and commentary on the price action can be very helpful for knowing what you should be staying away from, especially on some of these low float stocks that run 50%, 100%, 200%, and everyone thinks, "it's up too much, it has to come down".  Lastly, you have the ability to private message many experienced traders in the room (Nate, Eric, Derrick, Phil, Bao and Nikko, just a few of many), all of which, make it the best chatroom out there from my experience.  


I also watched some of MadazTrader's videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5sb5H4lOU0), and that's when I really started my whole scalping techniques, and trading the long side more, mostly buying washouts for the quick bounce. I appreciate everything I learned from him, but now I have a tough time holding onto winners for the "big picture idea", I'm often in and out in 1-15 minutes, I take my quick profit and run. The problem is, I don't really focus on risk/reward trading, if I'm right I take my tiny profit, if I'm wrong, a lot of times, I will ADD more shares to a LOSING trade and HOPE that I can get out for breakeven/small profit, I have a very tough time accepting losses. It's really not the best way to trade, and I've developed some very bad habits in my trading.

I am a total scalper, and very, very stubborn, I need to become more patient with winners and less patient with losers.  Also having a plan and not adding to losers (or making sure it's within reason/controllable and not insanely big) are two main things I need to work on.  I don't feel that I will be able to achieve much long term success from always scalping such small moves, and as Nikko (https://twitter.com/Nikkorico_) always tells me, it's not scale-able and I can never get to the "next level" like that.  All of the great traders that I know (Michail, Craig, David, Bao, Nate, Eric, Phil, Nikko...), make most of their money from sizing in short with conviction on junk stocks that are up too much, and trade for the big move, not scalping for pennies.  I may still scalp for a while, because I have always liked the instant gratification and I still feel like I am good at it, but I also want to get better at "bigger picture" trades, holding onto a winner for a few hours instead of a few minutes, and exiting the position when I actually have a reason to.

The reason I am starting this blog, is to help with my accountability and consistency.  Hopefully, me posting every single trade, every single day, will help me take less random trades and be much more controllable with my losses.  Since September, I have been keeping track of my trades in a trading log on excel with the charts and entries/exits, but I am still making the same mistakes repeatedly.  I am now going to be doing that trading log on this blog, where the public accountability should help in my overall trading and improving my consistency as a trader.  Thank you for reading my long intro and hopefully you will learn something from my daily posts.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jordan...so how big was your account when you first started trading ? :)

    ReplyDelete